Green Homes Grant guidance published
The Government has published further details of the Green Homes Grant, announced by the Chancellor at his Summer Economic Update on 8 July.
The scheme provides vouchers worth up to £5,000 for most homeowners or £10,000 for households on low income to install energy-saving primary measures, including:
Insulation: Solid wall, cavity wall, under-floor, loft, flat roof, a room in roof, park home.
Low carbon heat: Air source heat pump, ground source heat pump, solar thermal
Householders installing or upgrading primary measures, can then also use them towards secondary measures, including:
- Draught proofing
- Windows and doors: Double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazing), secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing), upgrading to energy-efficient doors (where replacing doors installed before 2002).
- Heating controls and insulation: appliance thermostats, hot water tank thermostats, hot water tank insulation, smart heating controls, zone controls, delayed start thermostat, thermostatic radiator valves.
However, funding towards secondary measures is capped at the level of funding provided for primary measures.
The funding can be used for properties, including:
- All owner-occupied homes (including long-leaseholders, shared ownership)
- Landlords of private rented sector domestic properties
- Landlords of social sector domestic properties (including LA owned homes)
- Park home owners (for residential sites including Gypsy and Traveller sites)
However, new-build domestic properties and non-domestic properties are not eligible for the scheme.
Later in August, households in England will be able to access advice on improving energy efficiency through the Simple Energy Advice Service, which will suggest home improvements. Households will then be able to apply for vouchers covering around two-thirds of the cost.
They will be provided with a list of approved TrustMark and MCS-registered tradespeople in the local area who can carry out the work.
It is expected that the first vouchers will be issued from the end of September.