Brexit: How to prepare for full customs controls
25 Nov 2021
As part of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, full customs controls will come into force on 1 January 2022.
If you move goods between Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland or the European Union, here’s how you can prepare.
Visit the Export Support Service
Firms can use the Export Support Service to ask questions about international trading, such as exporting to new markets, what paperwork you will need to sell your goods overseas, and rules for a specific country.
Sign up to the Trader Support Service
If you move goods in or out of Northern Ireland, the Trader Support Service will guide you through any changes due to the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol.
Complete the trader checklist
Are you up to date with the latest rules and regulations? Complete the trader checklist to find out what actions you need to take to comply.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has published a range of helpful videos and webinars to support businesses in the wake of Brexit.
Sign up to live webinars
For live support and real-time briefings from trading experts, business owners can sign up to HMRC’s live webinars. We recommend registering for the following sessions:
- Steps you need to take before making your supplementary declaration: get advice on how to make a supplementary declaration and how intermediaries can help
- Customs Import Declarations: an overview of the whole declarations process
- What you need to do to keep your goods moving: covering zero-rated VAT, customs declarations, using an intermediary as well as licences, certificates, and authorisations
- Trader responsibilities when using an intermediary: your responsibilities if using an intermediary to complete import or export declarations
- Importing food and drink, and animal products from the EU to Great Britain: DEFRA webinars about upcoming changes and how to register and use the import system IPAFFS (Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System).
Get advice today
For help and advice with related matters, please get in touch with our team today.